After my first Doctor Who novel Heritage was published, I tried hard to get a second. I spent a year writing proposals for Doctor Who stories, and none of them were good enough. The next year, two of them were – a co-write with Kelly Hale, and a WWII Fifth Doctor, Tegan, Nyssa and Adric version of the Aztecs. But they weren't commissioned: just before Heritage had published, the Doctor Who books had halved the rate at which they were published and – because the BBC didn't want to publish two consecutive stories featuring the same Doctor – that meant there was effectively only one slot a year for any story that didn't feature the Eighth Doctor. Even those that did only had six slots, and both ranges already had a backlog of commissioned books to work through. I was told my pitches would wait until a suitable slot opened up, not rejected but not quite accepted either.
Part of the problem here was that we'd already commissioned well ahead – by halving the number of novels at a point where we were actually in good shape in terms of the commissioning meant that we now had an extra 6 months of material commissioned. Also, the 8th Doctor novels were just embarking on an 'arc' of linked stories which was already planned out – so there just wasn't the opportunity to slot in anything that came in unsolicited as it wouldn't have fit…